Saturday, February 29, 2020

The home stretch

I got it all put together and it looks excellent!
It took another 4 hours of coding to iron out all the bugs.  I also wrote an anti-cathode poisoning routine.
Basically every 5 minutes (at xx:x4:59) it cycles through 0-9 on all nixies.  It displays each number for 100 ms.  For a total of 1 second of slot machine like action :)
Then at 3AM it cycles each digit 0-9 for 30 seconds each.  So the clock won't be readable between 3 and 3:03AM, but hopefully I'm sleeping when it is doing that ;)

I removed all other HP boards from the counter, so it is just the power supply board and the nixie display board.

For now, I'm going to leave it in 24 hour time.
I may later add separator neon bulbs or LEDs between the hours, minutes, and seconds.  But this display is so compact, there isn't much room for them. 

Now I'm going to run it for a while and see how it holds up. 







No comments:

Post a Comment